Creating Greater Racial Equity at Evergreen
One of Evergreen's aspirations is to design and nurture a community that is inclusive, equitable, and supportive of students and families regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, economic status, physical and mental abilities, religious values, or political affiliations.
Foremost in our work at this time is to create greater racial equity at our school. We recognize that charter schools, regardless of intention, have directly contributed to school resegregation and we strive to identify and eliminate the role our school plays in this injustice. As we work together, we hope that students, staff, and parents become advocates for social justice in all its forms.
Evergreen's Equity Leadership Team provides resources that support our community in moving toward greater cultural and racial equity. We welcome new members who would like to be involved in this process. If you are interested or want more information, please contact the ELT at email@example.com.
We are launching an initiative
towards diversity and inclusion
by making these commitments:
- Acknowledging racial and other discriminatory incidents as they occur and deal with them openly and forthrightly while still safeguarding privacy.
- Increasing the number of books in the library and classrooms that include diverse characters and that teach about cultural and racial equity.
- Developing a racial equity curriculum with accompanying lesson plans for Evergreen teachers as well as to share with other schools.
- Publicizing racial equity events and resources in our newsletter.
- Developing relationships with local community organizations that have built trusted connections with black folks and people of color.
- Identifying and eliminating structural barriers to cultural and racial equity at our school.
- Building a deeper racial equity analysis by holding further racial equity training for Evergreen staff, teachers, parents and students.
- Recruiting Evergreen Board, committee, and staff members who will help us move toward the goal of racial equity.
Calendar of Events
This calendar includes local events that are focused on creating greater racial equity. Please click on the event to view more information.