Science is the process of discovering and understanding the physical world and its dynamics. We provide opportunities for students to explore and experiment actively, and to supplement hands-on activities with projects involving research. Teachers will guide students in scientific inquiry and in constructing logical conclusions. The primary grades emphasize the wonder of the world around us. In the upper elementary grades, students learn the formal scientific method and a format for performing and writing up scientific experiments. In middle school, students use formal scientific inquiry regularly and determine findings through research.
Scientific inquiry includes:
- Observing, classifying, questioning
- Predicting and forming hypotheses
- Experimenting, identifying and controlling variables
- Gathering information from many sources, including the internet, books, magazines, encyclopedias, film, field trips, guest speakers, etc.
- Collecting and analyzing data
- Drawing conclusions and communicating them effectively
- Learning from “mistakes” and revising experiments or conclusions